Using student-sized dry erase boards has become a standard part of our classroom instruction. Many years ago we created class sets out of old dry erase boards that were taken down from classrooms, but these are now very old and don't wipe clean, so it is time for new. Dry erase boards are used every day across the curriculum in a variety of ways to support student learning and teacher ability to check for understanding, and are invaluable instructional tools for many reasons:
1. Using dry erase boards engages every child in every single lesson.
2. Teachers can check for understanding easily by having students 'chin it' and show their work so we know exactly who’s grasping the concepts and who needs reteaching or support.
3. Students love them because they’re fun. Mistakes made during guided practice can be easily erased.
4. Using dry erase boards saves paper, so are environmentally and budget friendly.
5. Dry erase boards can be used in whole group instruction, small guided groups, learning centers, and individually.
6. The use of dry erase boards is an integral part of the professional development TTUSD provided in Explicit Direct Instruction to support high levels of engagement in learning for all.
$1510 - Double-Sided Learn to Print Write and Wipe Boards-Set of 10
$998 - Write and Wipe Think Line Marker-Set of 4 Colors
$375 - Write and Wipe Lapboard Erasers
Benefits of Program (10 points)
Using individual dry erase (or write and wipe boards) ensures 100% student engagement in learning, and is the most efficient way to ensure that teachers are able to quickly check for understanding for all of their students. Dry erase boards are used in every curricular area all throughout the day. Students love to have their own dry erase board to show what they know, so the use increases student engagement, but most importantly, the use of these boards allows teachers to adjust instruction in the moment because it allows for real time checks for understanding.
Success of Program (10 points)
We have been using dry erase boards in our classes for many years, so we know how beneficial they are to supporting student engagement and monitoring of student learning. In fact, we have used them so much, that our sets are worn out and not as easy for students to use as they need to be to be 100% effective.
Implementation (10 points)
Dry erase boards are an integral part of our every day instruction and significantly enhance student learning via effective instruction. The use of the boards is critical in terms of monitoring student understanding as they master new skills and practice mastered skills.
These dry erase boards are reported to be well made and sturdy. We anticipate that they will last for years. The only part that we will need to replace from site funds down the line are the markers students use to write on the boards as they do eventually dry out.
Can you share this grant with your grade level or subject team?
We will order the boards immediately and start using them as soon as they arrive. This grant is for a class set for each TK, Kinder, First, and Second grade classroom. They are used throughout the day every day, so it is critical that each room have their own.